Tips for Adult Acne
When it comes to to treating Acne it can sometimes feel like an upward struggle at the best of times especially for adults who expect their skin to have cleared up. The key to treating adult acne is understanding the causes and then taking measures to avoid it where possible.
What is adult acne?
If you’re suffering from a breakout of acne after the age of 25, this is known as ‘adult acne or post adolescent acne. If you have Adult acne you are not alone in fact studies have shown the number of people who get adult acne has gone up over the past 2 decades. In general, it is caused when your hair follicles or pores become blocked, which can occur for numerous reasons. This condition is actually very common and can be prevented to some extent.
What are the triggers for adult acne?
Understanding the triggers for adult acne is the best way to avoid an outbreak. Some of the main causes include:
Stress-If you’re feeling particularly stressed, your body may respond with a breakout of acne. Your skin contains sebaceous glands, which also contain stress hormone receptors. The higher your stress levels, the more sebum is produced, and the higher your chances of suffering from adult acne.
Hormones is another factor- Hormones don’t just affect your mood, but also your skin. Hormones can fluctuate for various reasons including menstruation and pregnancy, but this may also trigger excess sebum production, causing your pores to become clogged.
Lifestyle changes are another important trigger such as a change in diet or smoking. All of these factors may increase the severity of adult acne, but luckily, you do have a level of control and can take measures to prevent breakouts.
Here are our top tips to help you take control of adult acne
1. Cleanse your face morning and evening to unclog pores; Washing your face properly is one of the easiest ways to avoid an adult acne breakout. Use alcohol-free cleansers and warm water. Ensure you use a clean towel to dry your face.
2. Understand your skin type & avoid heavier creams which can clog pores and trigger more breakouts.
3. Keep skin hydrated; When it comes to adult acne, water is your best friend. Dehydrated skin easily becomes irritated, which leads to further sebum production and breakouts.
4. Avoid touching your face; In this way you prevent bacteria and other germs from being transferred to your skin this is especially important if adult acne is particularly aggressive.
5. Always wear sunscreen. Regardless of the weather it is important to protect your skin daily from the suns damaging UV rays with a sunscreen. Opt for a lightweight sunscreen that wont clog pores.
The key thing to remember is whilst adult acne can frustrating you can absolutely take control and prevent future breakouts with a targeted consistent skincare routine that keeps pores unclogged and skin hydrated every day.
How it works
Take our 3 minute quiz
Start with a skin quiz compiled by our doctors
This assesses many factors to allow us to customise your skincare for a £10 skin analysis fee
Receive your Customised Skin Programme
Our skin experts will determine the best products for YOU according to your profile
Choose your products
Pay only for the products you’d like to keep
Redeem the £10 against anything you purchase
Delivery to Your Door
We will customise your programme each time adjusting to changes in the seasons and lifestyle factors so your skincare is customised for you